Monday, February 10, 2014

Recipe: Roasted Sweet Potatoes over Quinoa---Training and Eating Right



So this blog is about style, personal style, and how it translates into how you dress, eat, travel, entertain, decorate your home, and pursue your passions.  To me all those things are of course individual but with a really fine line between them.  How you dress is affected by how you eat.  If you eat a large size combo meal 3 times a day you probably are not going to opt for a small square-cut bathing suit or a really slim pair of pants.  And it can probably be said that how you eat is affected by how you dress.  Now I am not saying that you have to look like Channing Tatum to look great in your clothes and have great style, but it couldn't hurt to have a better relationship with a healthier way of eating. 

At one point I felt that being in good shape was a ship that had already sailed and I was content to eat whatever I wanted.  Have you ever seen a picture of yourself that made you think "who is that person and where did the slender me go?"  Well I did not long ago and it made me start thinking about my fitness and that I would feel better inside and out if I was to get with the program.  My good friend Jon Stone put me in contact with his trainer that he was really enjoying working with, seeing results, and felt the trainer would be a great fit for me.  I don't typically like trainers because I had viewed them as judgmental, overbearing, superior, and just arrogant. 

Well just over a week ago I had a chance to meet the trainer, Matt Carter, for brunch.  He was none of the things I had worried about.  We not only talked about fitness but we talked about all sorts of things and it felt to me like the point wasn't whipping my ass into shape but to help me get to where I wanted to be physically in a way that is healthy, encouraging, and fun.  One thing we talked about was diet.  You know the saying that six-pack abs are made in the kitchen more than in the gym?  Well that is apparently true.  I love to eat and to eat bad things, but I also like to eat good things and can cook anything that I need or want to so it is just a matter of doing more of the latter.  Matt encouraged me that if I just follow his directions and do what he says I can get where I want to be physically.  I really like that approach. 

Quick snapshot of my trainer Matt Carter (l) and I (r) at Revolution Fitness on our first training day

 


So for diet I get two cheat meals a week rather than a cheat day, which is better because you can space it out and is awesome for going to eat with friends and not having to be that guy that says "oh I can't eat there...nothing on my diet."  No bad carbs...no white rice, sugar, white potatoes, bread, or pasta.  I am also cutting out dairy.  I can have quinoa, sweet potatoes, brown rice, meat and seafood and poultry, and lots of fruits and veggies.   With that in mind I wanted to share a recipe I have enjoyed in the past when I was behaving diet-wise and have enjoyed again recently. 

Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Quinoa

This recipe is very versatile in that you can eat it as a meal topped with some protein or as a side dish.  You can also serve the sweet potatoes by themselves or as a salad topping on baby spinach.  I topped the bowl in the picture with some tempeh, a soy protein.  You can also add feta or goat cheese and it is delicious.  Sweet potatoes are great for you as is the quinoa.  Quinoa is a grain and is a complete protein, cultivated by the Incas, and very easy to cook.  I also like that it is very versatile like rice, but better for you. 

3lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 red onion, peeled and sliced
extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt...to taste
cracked black pepper...to taste
dried Italian herb blend or fresh herbs of your choice
cooked quinoa...recipe to follow
toasted pine nuts as garnish, optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place prepared sweet potatoes and onion in a roasting pan, season with salt, pepper, and herbs.  Drizzle with olive oil and toss.  Place in oven on center rack and bake for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender to the fork.  Stir several times during cooking.  Serve and enjoy!

Prepared sweet potatoes and onions have been tossed with oil and seasoning and ready to go into the oven!


Cooked quinoa:
2 cups rinsed and drained quinoa
4 cups water
pinch of salt

Place all ingredients in a heavy bottomed sauce pot.  Cover and bring to a boil.  When it starts boiling turn the heat down to very low and simmer for 15 minutes.  Fluff it with a fork and serve. 

I hope that you will enjoy this recipe and would like to hear your feedback on your own variations with it.  It is nice to have an easy and healthy recipe that also reheats well.  If I have good options on hand I am less tempted to opt for something unhealthy to eat.  I am off to a great start so far with my exercise and diet and will continue to post recipes that you can enjoy whether you are dieting or just wanting a healthier option now and then. 

For more style info please check out and like Brian's Style Guide on Facebook.
 
  All of these images are courtesy of Brian Kelley/Imagine Photography/Brian's Style Guide and are protected by copyright law. None of these images may be used, edited, reproduced, transferred, published or distributed in any form or by any means whatsoever without prior written permission.


No comments:

Post a Comment